A popular Maharashtrian breakfast or snack, poha is made of flattened rice, potatoes and onions. Very quick and easy to make, it serves as an ideal healthy breakfast. You can just only use potatoes to make ‘Batata poha’ or just onions to make ‘Kanda poha’.
In this recipe, I have made a slight variation by adding cashews and raisins, the way my mom always makes it. You can add peanuts instead. Also, I have added boiled peas. I also sometimes add some chopped red carrots while they are in season. You can, however, skip this.
Step wise recipe to make poha:
- Finely chop potatoes, onions, green chilies and coriander. If using peas, slightly boil them in a pan.
- Wash and rinse flattened rice (poha) in running water. Drain all the water and set it aside to soften. There are two types of flattened rice, thick and thin. For making this recipe, I prefer thick flattened rice. Make sure you drain the excess water otherwise it will become soggy.
- After poha has softened, add turmeric powder, salt, lemon, sugar (optional) and chopped coriander leaves. Gently mix and keep it aside.
- In a pan, Add oil and mustard seeds. After mustard seeds crackle, Add curry leaves, green chilies, boiled peas and chopped potatoes. Stir well and cook covered for 1-2 minutes.
- When potatoes turn tender, add chopped onions, cashews, raisins and a pinch of turmeric. Stir well and saute till onions turn translucent.
- Now add poha. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes on low flame.
- Garnish poha with chopped coriander or grated coconut or sev. Serve with hot tea/coffee.
I have also added other quick snack recipes in this blog such as Bread Upma.
Here is step by step photo guide on how to make Poha
- 1-2 cups poha (thick flattened rice)
- 1 small to medium potato -chopped
- 1 small to medium onion -chopped
- 2-3 green chillies -chopped
- 1/2 cup peas -boiled
- 7-8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 4-5 pieces cashew nuts (optional)
- 4-5 pieces raisins (optional)
- 1.5 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander -chopped
- salt (as per taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
Rinse poha with water. Drain the water and set aside to soften.
When poha softens, add turmeric powder (haldi), salt, lemon (optional), sugar (optional) and chopped coriander leaves. Gently mix.
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
When mustard seeds crackle, add green chilies and curry leaves. Stir.
Now add chopped potatoes and boiled peas. Mixed and cook covered till potatoes get tender.
Now add chopped onions, cashews, raisins and a pinch of turmeric. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
After onions become a bit translucent, add poha. Mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Gently stir. Serve poha with hot tea.